Dan Barrett (politician)
C. Daniel Barrett is an attorney, legal author, and North Carolina political figure.
|Member of the North Carolina Senate|
from the 34th district
August 23, 2017  – January 1, 2019
|Preceded by||Andrew Brock|
|Succeeded by||Joyce Krawiec (Redistricting)|
|Alma mater||Wake Forest University|
Barrett unsuccessfully sought the Republican nomination for governor in the 2004 election. His gubernatorial campaign was noted for its grassroots efforts, including Barrett personally walking across the length of the state from Murphy in the mountains to Manteo on the Outer Banks. Prior to that campaign, he served as Chairman of the Davie County Board of Commissioners.
In the 2008 general election, he ran for the North Carolina Court of Appeals, but was defeated by incumbent Judge Linda Stephens. He stated that he had a "conservative judicial philosophy." Dan Barrett's 2008 candidacy was endorsed by several leading North Carolina political figures, including former Governor James G. Martin and former Governor James Holshouser.
Barrett was again elected to the Davie County Commission in 2014. He was a candidate for the open 13th district US Congressional seat in 2016 but finished 8th out of 17 candidates in the June Primary.
In August 2017, Barrett was selected to fill the seat of Sen. Andrew Brock, who retired. He has since served as the State Senator from the 34th District representing Davie, Rowan, and Iredell counties.
As part of a long battle over redistricting, Barrett found himself in a different state Senate district, in which long-time Republican Sen. Joyce Krawiec also resided. Barrett ran against Krawiec in the 2018 primaries and narrowly lost, according to unofficial results.
- "JOURNAL OF THE SENATE OF THE 2017 GENERAL ASSEMBLY OF THE STATE OF NORTH CAROLINA FIRST SESSION" (PDF). North Carolina General Assembly.
- State Board of Elections Archived December 30, 2010, at WebCite
- AP: GOP maintains edge on Supreme Court Archived 2017-04-25 at the Wayback Machine
- Barrett: more than just a legal eagle Archived December 30, 2010, at WebCite
- Martin endorses Barrett for Appeals Court Archived December 30, 2010, at WebCite
- "County Commissioners | Davie County, NC - Official Website".
- "Article 404 - the Dispatch - Lexington, NC".
- State Board of Elections: Senate primaries